Google
 
Web jonathanandwanda.blogspot.com

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Negligent Homicide killed New Orleans Citizens

BATON ROUGE, La. — In a day of reckoning across battered New Orleans, the owners of a nursing home were charged in the deaths of dozens of patients killed by Hurricane Katrina's floodwaters, the death toll in Louisiana jumped to 423, and the mayor warned that the city is broke, unable to make its next payroll.

The death toll climbed by more than half in a single day to 423, including last week's grisly discovery of 34 dead patients and staff members at St. Rita's nursing home in the town of Chalmette in hard-hit St. Bernard Parish.

Louisiana Attorney General Charles Foti charged the husband-and-wife owners of St. Rita's with 34 counts of negligent homicide for not doing more to save their elderly patients. The case represents the first major prosecution to come out of the hurricane.

"The pathetic thing in this case was that they were asked if they wanted to move them and they did not," Foti said. "They were warned repeatedly that this storm was coming. In effect, their inaction resulted in the deaths of these people."


And you thought I was going to mention the lack of the Mayor and Governor evacuating the citizens didn't you? I won't even mention the buses that were left to the flood ... the ones that could have been used BEFORE the hurricane hit and it was still dry land ... since they knew it was coming and all ...


The attorney general said he is also investigating the discovery of more than 40 corpses at flooded-out Memorial Medical Center in New Orleans. A hospital official said the 106-degree heat inside the hospital as the patients waited for days to be evacuated probably contributed to the deaths.


I also am not mentioning the Superdome where the Governor and Mayor left many without food and water (they denied the Red Cross from bringing it in 2 times), no power (air conditioning, etc.), and no 'facilities' to speak of.


The updated Louisiana death toll came as Gov. Kathleen Blanco lashed out at the federal government, accusing it of moving too slowly in recovering the bodies. The dead "deserve more respect than they have received," she said. "I am angry and outraged."

But Blanco's outburst created yet another case of bureaucratic finger-pointing. FEMA spokesman David Passey said he did not understand what the governor was talking about because, he said, the state asked to take over body recovery last week.

"The collection of bodies is not normally a FEMA responsibility," Passey said.



Louisiana Attorney General Charles Foti charged the husband-and-wife owners of St. Rita's with 34 counts of negligent homicide for not doing more to save their elderly patients. The case represents the first major prosecution to come out of the hurricane.


Wonder if Mayor Nagin and Governor Blanco are anywhere on his list ... if not ... why? Same crime after all.

Listed on BlogShares