Google
 
Web jonathanandwanda.blogspot.com

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Bush : "I take responsibility"

WASHINGTON -
President Bush for the first time took responsibility Tuesday for federal government mistakes in dealing with Hurricane Katrina and suggested the calamity raised broader questions about the government's ability to handle both natural disasters and terror attacks.

"Katrina exposed serious problems in our response capability at all levels of government," Bush said at a joint White House news conference with Iraqi President Jalal Talabani.

"And to the extent that the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility. I want to know what went right and what went wrong," said Bush.

Bush's acceptance of responsibility came in response to a reporter's question on whether the United States was capable of handling another terrorist attack, given its halting and widely criticized response to Katrina.

"That's a very important question," Bush said. "And it's in our national interest that we find out exactly what went on — so that we can better respond."

"I'm not going to defend the process going in, but I am going to defend the people who are on the front line of saving lives," he added. "I also want people in America to understand how hard people are working to save lives down there in not only New Orleans, but surrounding parishes and along the Gulf Coast."


I have said that Bush COULD have handled it differently. I have defended him following the laws. I have said that if he HAD done it differently that the liberals would still have found something to gripe about. Most likely "States Rights".

Following that train of thought I applaud the President for going with 'the buck stops here' attitude ...

I await the same admissions from (D) Governor Kathleen Blanco who is still blaming Bush and the Federal Government for her blunders ... even when caught on mic admitting to her mistakes.

I also await the same from (D) Mayor Ray Nagin who also is pointing his finger in Bush's direction while ignoring the 3 pointing right back at himself.

Listed on BlogShares